Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My Child Did What?

It started yesterday with Jacob saying his throat was sore when he woke up. This happens with a child that has allergy problems quite often. No big deal, be tough, you'll feel better when you get to school. Well, twice he found me at school to say he wasn't feeling any better so I let him call Mom and she came to pick him up with only a few hours left of school. When I picked him up after school he seemed pretty fine to me, maybe a little puny, but not bad.

Fast forward to this morning. He woke up and said his chest was hurting. He didn't sound wheezy, no fever, so I gave him some brand name children's chest congestion/cold medicine and told him to try school. Jesse left for work and Mom and I had to be in Tulsa...uhmmm... I made sure to leave Jesse's parents' phone numbers in his backpack.

I got a call just a couple hours later from Jesse saying he had talked to his parents. The school called them saying Jacob had passed out next to his teacher and she caught him. What???? His Dad was on his way (just around the block) to pick him up and Jesse was going to leave work.

I figured someone along the way got their story messed up, surely he didn't really pass out. If he did, was he faking it? (Sorry, but I've seen some pathetic kids try to play sick at school so I even question my own!) I called Ms. Debra, the receptionist, right then to get the story. She basically told me the same thing. His teacher brought him down because he blacked out in class. They took his temp and it was normal but he was very wet and clammy.

When his daddy got home, he let him use his inhaler because he was coughing quite a bit, took some meds, then took a good nap. He felt better, enough to eat dinner at Sue's when I got home. Tonight he is wheezy and coughing so I see a trip to the doctor in his future...as in tomorrow unless he improves greatly.

I still don't know what the passing out was about, but he described the ringing in his ears and the blackness coming from the sides of his eyes towards the middle. Luckily he was standing right next to his teacher. I bet that scared the bejeezers out of her! When I'm back at school tomorrow, I'll be anxious to see what she says and get him back to feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment